Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012


Interviewing Mamie Smith

1. Q: Describe where you are from and give us information about your family?
A: Well as you know my name is Mamie smith. I am from Cincinnati Ohio. I was born with the name Mamie Robinson on May 26 1883. I married a man named William Smith. When I was young I started work early. First I started off dancing and it lead to singing once I left a group called the “Ttutt Brothers”.

2. Q: What events in your early life made you get interested in the arts?
A: In the event that I started singing at an early age. I sang in groups that really fit me. When I was young I was not only just a vocalist. I also danced and acted along with being a vocalist. I danced with an act called “The Four Dancing Mitchells.

3. Q: What role did mentors play in helping you develop the interests and talents you have as an artist?
A: Perry Bradford helped me through most of my life. He was also my producer. Actually I consider anybody that got me to where I am today is a mentor to me. My parents, the bands, my fans, my producers, everyone. But most of all, the one that got me to where I am today would have to be my lord and savior Jesus Christ.

4. Q: What was the world of art like in your particular art field when you entered it?
A: When I entered the world of jazz music, I was a very little girl but as my carrier progressed to something greater that what it was before, the environment was amazing and I loved every bit of it. I stared to write more songs and they became hits.

5. Q: How did the major cultural, economic and political situations of the time impact your work?
A: Like any other normal person I had my share of economic issues. When my hit “Crazy Blues” came out it was inspiring because it opened doors of the recording industry to African- Americans whether they were blues or jazz singers and musicians. That record sold me over 2 million copies.  Not many female artists could match the sales that I made off “Crazy Blues”.

7. Q: What were the key opportunities you had that led to turning points in your life and art?
A: Any opportunity in which I was performing I call high points of art in my life. My manager Perry Bradford convinced Okeh Records that there was a market for earthier Blues records aimed at the large number of African-Americans who had migrated to the big cities of the north. So when my manager talked to them he put together a group called the “Jazz Hounds”. As far as touring any gig that I had was a tour to me.

8. Q: Who are people that you admire both in the arts and beyond and why do they inspire you?
A: I admire anybody that performs for me. But in this case someone that I really look up to would have to be Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith and Victoria Spivey. They were very close to my style of music. I liked the way they were similar to me in that way.

10. Q:  What personal stories (anecdotes) best illustrate how you became successful in the arts?
A: I just remember when I was younger I used to many things including acting dancing along with singing so that I would say was what really illustrated my life in becoming the artists I am today.


No comments:

Post a Comment